NLFD responds to dryer fire in apartment
NORTH LIBERTY– A working smoke detector helped provide a quick response and limited damage to a North Liberty apartment building Sunday.
The North Liberty Fire Department was dispatched to 162 Elm Ridge Drive Sunday April 6, at approximately 4 p.m. for a building fire. First arriving North Liberty Police units reported thick smoke on the third floor of the apartment building and residents were evacuated. North Liberty Fire Department units arrived and found smoke throughout the structure and heavy smoke coming from an apartment on the third floor.
The apartment was occupied at the time of the fire and did have working smoke detectors, which alerted residence. The resident of the apartment reported a dryer began smoking and called 911.
North Liberty fire units were able to extinguish and the fire quickly. The fire was contained to the dryer and did not extend into any of the walls or ceiling.
Early property damage and content dollar loss is unknown at this time. There were no injuries and residents were allowed to return to their apartments.
The North Liberty Fire Department was assisted by the North Liberty Police Department, Coralville Fire Department, and the Johnson County Ambulance Service.