North Liberty Community Food and Clothing Pantry offers year-end update
NORTH LIBERTY– We would like to thank the City of North Liberty for their continued support of the North Liberty Community Food and Clothing Pantry.
The Library's Food for Fines program has been a huge success during January and February this year. The library ran a special program during the last two months allowing library patrons to pay off all of their fines with food donations. The North Liberty Food and Clothing Pantry received 1000 pounds of food from the program during the last two months. The library has a Food for Fines program all of the time, but the patrons usually are not able to pay off all of their fines. The Pantry is very happy to receive the large amount of food. There was also a variety of foods that were provided including some foods that the pantry does not usually receive such as salt, canned greens, and ketchup.
- In 2008 we served 423 families
- Last year we distributed more than 92,000 pounds of food
- Last year we circulated almost 8000 pieces of clean, used clothing
- The Pantry has had as many as 350 visits in one month
- In 2008 the pantry increased from 10 to 12 open hours per week.
- More than 90 volunteers support the work of the Pantry
- The Pantry has only one paid part-time employee
- The Pantry relies on the generosity of businesses, individuals, local government and foundations for support