Solon Public Library
Are you new to Solon?
Please stop in and check out the services we offer at the Solon library! We have popular titles, large print, westerns, Christian fiction, science fiction and lots of non-fiction for gardeners, history buffs, financial tips, good health habits, and much more. We have a large audio book collection and DVDs for both children and adults. Also available for check out are puzzles, puppets, and cake pans. In our reading area, you will find four area newspapers and a variety of magazines.
There are 10 public computers and a wireless Internet option. A copy machine, which also has the capacity to scan, and a fax machine are available for the public to use.
You will want to check our list of programs for children, including a regular Tuesday morning story time, every week at 10:30 a.m. and a six-week summer reading program. Stop in and fill out a library card today!!
Money Smart activities offered April 12 and 19
We all find that there are times in our lives when we need some extra information about financial decisions that may be ahead of us. Whether it’s saving for college or wondering how much you’ll need for retirement, it helps to check with additional people and resources to make certain that we’re making wise decisions.
The library is offering some specific programs on the morning of April 12 and April 19. Posters will be up April 1 and we’ll post the details again in next week’s column. We hope that we are offering a useful range of topics, from budgeting, to saving to investing, plus a nifty link to the Johnson County Extension Service website for a food calculator that provides a great guideline for what you should spend each week on groceries, based on the size of your family. We provide an example of a typical family of four.
Browse through the books and audios that we’ve put on display featuring the latest financial books: from budgeting to bartering, cutting costs to breaking the habit of spending/shopping.
Dates to remember:
• Story time for children ages 2 through 5, every Tuesday morning at 10:30 a.m. Join us for stories, songs and a craft.
• Solon Book Club meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
• Scrabble Challenge. Last Wednesday of each month. Kids will meet after school from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Adults play from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Bring your own snacks and Scrabble dictionary.
• Meal and a Movie from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. Usually last Friday of the month. The movie is free but registration is required for the catered meal which costs $7.50 for an entrée, vegetable and dessert. The movie follows the meal and usually begins around noon. Call Sandra Hanson at 624-2710 to register or sign up at Old Gold Dining.
• April 5-19: Activities and programs for Money Smart Week.
• April 13-19: National Library Week. We invite you to sign the “Declaration of Support for Libraries.”
• April 23: Author Larry Baker reads from his new book, “The Education of Nancy Adams” at 7 p.m. in the library meeting room.