Solon Public Library
Library book sale cancelled
Due to scheduling issues, the Friends of the Solon Library will not be having a used book sale on Saturday, Aug 2, as previously announced.
A new date has not yet been selected. Donations are down, so organizers may not have enough material for a sale until Spring 2015.
Announcement of the new sale dates will be on the library’s website (www.solon.lib.ia.us) and on Facebook.
New fiction arrivals:
“Destroyer Angel” by Nevada Barr.
“Warriors” by Ted Bell.
“I’ve Got You Under My Skin” by Mary Higgins Clark.
“Waiting for Wednesday” by Nicci French.
“And the Dark Sacred Night” by Julia Glass.
“In Paradise” by Peter Matthiessen.
“The Collector” by Nora Roberts.
“Keep Quiet” by Lisa Scottoline.
“The King” by J.R. Ward.
“Carnal Curiosity” by Stuart Woods.
“The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry” by Gabrielle Zevin.
Storytime is a program every Tuesday for children ages 2 through 5 featuring stories, songs, and rhymes followed by a craft. Younger siblings are also welcome to attend. The theme for April 29 is “May Day.”
On school early-out days, the library offers free programming for school-aged children. On Thursday, May 1, we will be watching the film “Walking with Dinosaurs” this program starts at 1 p.m. and pick up time is 2:45 p.m.
Tween and teen movie night
On April 25 the library will be showing “Dairy of a Wimpy Kid.” at 6:30 p.m. and “Journey to the Center of the Earth” at 8:30 p.m. Snacks will be available for purchase. The event is sponsored by TAB (Teen Advisory Board). For fifth through 12th grades.
Meal and a movie
The movie is free but registration is required for the catered meal and costs $7.50 for an entrée, vegetable and dessert. The movie follows the meal and usually begins around noon. Call Sandra Hanson at 319-624-2710 to register or sign up at Old Gold Dining.
On April 25 the Meal and a Movie group will be showing “The Book Thief.” This film is the story of young Liesel, who while subjected to the horrors of World War II Germany finds solace by stealing books and sharing them with others. In the basement of her home, a Jewish refugee is being sheltered by her adoptive parents.
New to Solon? Sign up for a library card before Summer Reading
If your family is new to Solon and you don’t have library cards, now is the perfect time to stop in and sign up for one before the summer reading rush. Also, don’t forget to mark your calendars for the annual “Summer Reading Kick-Off Party” which will take place on Thursday, May 29, from 5 until 6:30 p.m.
Spring cleaning: Solon city-wide garage sale set for June 6-7
This year the dates for the city-wide garage sale will be Friday, June 6, and Saturday, June 7. Participants can sign up for one of the days or both Friday and Saturday. Registration forms are now available. The deadline for registration is 6 p.m. on Tuesday, June 3, but will close early if the maximum amount of sales is reached. The fee to register is $8 for a sale in-town, and $4 for an out-of-town sale.
If you don’t have enough items for a sale of your own, think about donating your items to the library for our sale. The library cannot accept clothing, encyclopedias, LPs, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, old VCRs, old television sets, or old computers. Please appropriately recycle those items. We will accept items for the garage sale anytime– no need to wait.
Dates to remember:
• Storytime for children ages 2 through 5, every Tuesday morning at 10:30 a.m. Join us for stories, songs and a craft.
• Solon Book Club meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
• April 23: Larry Baker reads from his new book, “The Education of Nancy Adams” at 7 p.m. in the library meeting room.
• April 25: Meal and a Movie from 11a.m. until 3 p.m. Usually last Friday of the month. The movie is free but registration is required for the catered meal and costs $7.50 for an entrée, vegetable and dessert. The movie follows the meal and usually begins around noon. Call Sandra Hanson at 319-624-2710 to register or sign up at Old Gold Dining.
• April 25: Tween and Teen Movie Night from 6:30 until 9:30 p.m.
• April 30: Scrabble Challenge. Last Wednesday of each month. Kids will meet after school from 3:30 until 5:30 p.m. Adults from 6:30 until 8:30 p.m. Bring your own snacks and Scrabble dictionary.
• May 1: Early-Out activity will be the movie “Walking with Dinosaurs.” This program will run from 1 until 2:45 p.m.
• May 5: LEGO® Club is the first Monday night of each month from 6 until 7 p.m. Kindergarten and up.