DES MOINES– The Sutliff Bridge will be rebuilt.
Governor Chet Culver and Congressman Dave Loebsack today announced that more than $6.7 million in federal and state funds have been identified and are in final approval for disaster recovery efforts for the Cedar Rapids School District as well as the historic Sutliff Bridge in Johnson County.
The Johnson County Board of Supervisors will receive $1,452,041 to repair the Sutliff Bridge which crosses the Cedar River in northeast Johnson County. Because of the Governor’s efforts to have FEMA pay 90% of the cost, the county will save the local match of $217,806. State funds will be used for the remaining 10 percent.
These funds are part of the effort to help rebuild infrastructure following the historic floods of 2008.
“Our work to rebuild from last year’s historic floods will not stop until the job is done,” said Governor Culver. “This latest round of funding will help communities hit hard, including our state’s second-largest school district, as we work together in our rebuilding effort.”
“Day in and day out we continue our work to build a safer and stronger Iowa,” said Congressman Loebsack. “These funds are a part of that ongoing effort, and will make a difference for schools in Cedar Rapids as well as repair a landmark well-known locally and visited by many people from great distances.”
The State and FEMA also approved the following project:
The Cedar Rapids Community School District will receive $5,294,685 to repair the Educational Services Center Building, 346 2nd Avenue S.W. in Cedar Rapids. Because of the Governor’s efforts to have FEMA pay 90% of the cost, the district will save the local match of $794,202. State funds will be used for the remaining 10 percent.
The projects are part of an expected 12,500 projects that will be identified under the State/FEMA Public Assistance Program designed to help public and certain non-profit agencies rebuild Iowa infrastructure and pay for response efforts. Eligible entities in 84 counties qualify for public assistance under the State and FEMA program. To date, the State and FEMA have obligated more than $673 million in federal and state funds for public assistance projects in Iowa.