By Ed Hadenfeldt
Special to the Economist
MARENGO– The Solon boy’s track team turned in an impressive performance in winning the Ruth Ahrens Invitational track meet, held this past week at Marengo. The team showed tremendous balance, scoring points in every event except one.
Team scores were as follows:
First place winners included:
• 4x800-meter relay: Paul Pisarik, Tyler Appleget, Zach Kienholz, Trevor Yahr, 8:49;
• Shot put: Dalton Ferguson, 49’5.25;
• High jump: Streeter McElravy, 5’10;
• Shuttle hurdle relay: Chris McNutt, Jacob Black, Jacob Gibbs, Connor Ham, 1:02.25
• 110-meter high hurdles: Ham, 14.98;
• 200-meter dash: Jonah Kuntz, 23.03.
Other place winners included:
• Shot put: Matt Quinn, fifth, 39’1.5;
• Long jump: Derek Nunemaker, third, 17’8;
• Discus: Jordan Wymer, fourth, 128’8.5; Ferguson, sixth, 120’9;
• High jump: Seth Phillips, fourth, 5’6;
• 3,200-meter: Patrick McGill, sixth, 11:16;
• 100-meter dash: Wymer, third, 11.43;
• 400-meter dash: Jordan Goodwin, third, 55.16; Tyler Hamann, fifth, 57.46;
• 4x200-meter relay: Black, Wymer, Riley Takes, Kuntz, second, 1:33.16;
• 1,600-meter run: Matt Reiland, fourth, 5:11;
• 110-meter high hurdles: McNutt, second, 16.99;
• 200-meter dash: Zach Lawson, fifth, 24.24;
• 400-meter hurdles: Josh Prybil, fourth, 1:03.72; Gibbs, fifth, 1:04.58;
• 1,600-meter medley relay: Nunemaker, Brandon Kramer, Kienholz, Yahr, third, 4:07.63;
• 800-meter: Pisarik, fourth, 2:13; Appleget, fifth, 2:18;
• 4x400-meter relay: Goodwin, McNutt, Lawson, Takes, second, 3:44.
The team will be busy this week, running a junior varsity meet Monday and combined varsity and junior varsity meets on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Tuesday’s meet will be the inaugural varsity meet held at Solon’s new track facility. The co-ed event is named the Denny Gruber Relays in honor of the long time track coach and teacher, who has since retired.
With Thursday being the last day to qualify for the prestigious Drake Relays to be held later this month in Des Moines, it appears that the Spartans will be well represented. The 4x100 relay team consisting of Jacob Black, Jordan Wymer, Riley Takes, and Jonah Kuntz appears to have qualified for the event, along with high hurdler Connor Ham, who has clocked the third fastest time in the state this year, regardless of class.