Feed your neighbors, shop locally this holiday
NORTH LIBERTY– North Liberty-area businesses are finding new ways to spread the giving spirit this season.
More than 30 local businesses have pledged to either make a donation or create a promotion to generate funds for the North Liberty Community Pantry. Promotions range from donating a portion of their sales to providing items to auction or making a donation for every Facebook “like” they receive. Participating businesses include retailers to restaurants, service companies and more, making it easy for anyone to shop local and support others.
The idea was sprouted at Forever Green Nursery and Garden Center in Coralville, when owner Lucy Hershberger was searching for a way to assist in the work the pantry does in the community. After having successfully partnered with other businesses to raise money to purchase school supplies each fall, Hershberger decided to recruit other business owners to join in the holiday fundraising effort.
“This has been an incredible success, with 31 businesses pledging to help raise over $5000,” Hershberger said.
The North Liberty Community Pantry serves North Liberty and surrounding areas. Their programs provide food, education opportunities, cooking workshops and clothing, including winter coats, hats, gloves, socks and underwear for school children. With client use increasing to over 800 visits in November, the need for the pantry’s services continues to grow. With the support of the community, and by simply shopping local this holiday season, that need can be met.
Donation-generating promotions include:
• Common Threads is donating a quilt for a drawing. To enter stop in the store and make a donation to the NL Pantry.
• Forever Green Garden Center is donating $2 for each Christmas tree and 10 percent of all wreaths and greens sold.
• Iowa GymNest is hosting an open gym with the fees going to the pantry. (Date to be determined)
• Itsy Bitsy is donating 10 percent of sales on Dec. 13 through Dec. 15.
• Liberty Pharmacy donated 10 percent of front counter sales on Small Business Saturday.
• North Liberty Leader is donating $15 from each new subscription in December.
• Performance Fitness is donating $10 for each new membership thru Dec. 24, and $1 for each shake sold the week of December 16.
• Pizza Ranch is donating .50 per delivery in December, up to $200.
• Portraits by Jeanna donated $10 for each mini Holiday setting Nov. 29.
• Revisit is donating $1 for each Facebook like through December, up to $200.
• Health Source of Coralville is donating for Facebook likes and for each Health pass and stress break massages at a business.
The following businesses are also participating by donating or providing a service to make this event a success:
Anderson & Pram P.L.C.
RJ Ender Computers
Farm Bureau Financial Service
Gateway Access Realty
For more information on the participating business and their promotions contact Lucy Hershberger at 319-626-6770 or 319-430-9488, email email@example.com or visit Forevergreen Garden Center at 125 Forevergreen Rd., in Coralville (just south of North Liberty). Also, find information on promotions on Facebook at In Community.
For information on the North liberty Community Pantry, contact director Tina Dubois at 319-626-2711, or visit the website at northlibertycommunitypantry.org.